Good morning! We’ve decided to make “links” a daily feature.
The mainstream media has largely abdicated its duty to focus on news that really matters to the American people. During the presidential campaign, they devoted a remarkably small amount of time to the issues. Instead, we received wall to wall coverage on emails and tweets.
There’s a market for substance. Just ask Bernie Sanders, who packed large venues while speaking nothing but policy.
Each day, we will highlight stories about the quality of life in the Great Recession. Soon, we will also start including interviews with middle class and working class Americans about their experiences.
Worker’s Jobs and Wages:
- Trump to Announce Carrier Will Keep Jobs in the U.S. Glad to see Trump making good on his promises. It looks like 1,000 of those jobs, but not all of them, might stay in Indiana. I’m curious about what he had to do to keep these jobs here.
- Eyeing the Trump Voter, ‘Fight for $15’ Widens Its Focus
- The Threat of Declining Wages
- Trump’s Treasury Pick Promises Biggest Middle Class Tax Cut Since Reagan
- Single Parents Could Take Tax Hit Under Trump Plan
White Collar Crime and Plutocracy:
- Mortgage Officials Sentenced to Federal Prison and Fined for Fraud
- Two Men Ordered to Pay $2.4 Million for Role in Mortgage Fraud
- Nominating Mnuchin for Treasury Will Dredge Up Mortgage Meltdown Controversies I’m reserving my judgment about this pick. I’m sure Trump is aware of the nominee’s history and how unpopular this will make Mnuchin with the majority of Americans. I’m wondering what Trump’s end game is with this.
- Trump Picks Foreclosure King Mnuchin for Treasury Secretary
- SEC Fines Wilbur Ross Firm $2.3 Million in Fees I’m reserving my judgment on this pick also. Now that his and Trump’s jobs depend on keeping the middle class and working class happy, maybe he will change his tune.
- Jeff Sessions Set to Show His Steel on White Collar Crime I hope the attorney general nominee is serious about this. The American people are sick of predatory financial institutions getting away with fines and no admission of wrongdoing. Very few people were imprisoned for the Financial Crisis. The American people have not forgotten this.
- Trump Starts Revealing His True Colors: Government for the Plutocrats, by the Plutocrats Well argued and researched article from a great site. I hope it turns out to be wrong.
- White Collar Crime Law Enforcement in a Trump Justice Department
- What Obamacare-Hating Tom Price’s Appointment Will Mean for Health Care Twenty million people gained coverage because of the Affordable Care Act. That includes people with preexisting conditions who couldn’t get coverage before. Trump is too smart to not anticipate the uprising that will occur if they don’t get a sufficient replacement. I will say this about Price: He’s one of the few politicians who talks about repealing Obamacare but also has real replacement plans.
- Women Could Pay More Than Men for Health Care Under Trump The majority of the country will be extremely angry if they get fleeced under Trump’s health care. Women are aware that health care companies have been charging them too much. There’s no justification for the fact that “60 percent of best-selling individual plans in 2009 charged a 40-year-old nonsmoking woman more than a 40-year-old man who smoked, even in plans that didn’t include any type of maternity coverage.”
- Trump Pledged to Protect Medicare. His Choice for Health Secretary Has Other Ideas. I understand why people are nervous about Prince. However, his appointment does not mean Trump won’t necessarily keep his promise.
- Half of All Adults in the World Have Less than $2300 in Wealth
- Robert Reich Previews a New Savage Era of Inequality Under Trump I hope Trump proves him wrong.
- Obama Claims Inequality Falling Even as Income Inequality Soars
- 6 Worst Things About Trump Tax Plan However, he may not do all of these things: Trump’s New Treasury, Commerce Nominees Say ‘No Absolute Tax Cut for the Wealthy,’ Predict Faster Growth
- Apple Fails to Stop Bid for Executive Compensation Reform
- America’s Surprising Views on Income Inequality
- These Apocalyptic Maps Show the Holes Income Inequality Has Left in American Cities
The Populist Revolution:
- Fairfax County, USA
- How the Democrats Could Win Again if They Wanted “Liberalism today is an expression of an enlightened professional class and their interests simply do not align with those of working people.” This is why they lost.
Enjoy! Feel free to point me towards other great articles.